Have you wanted to take a class or workshop with Vanessa Mártir but haven’t had the funds? Here’s your chance! Announcing two anonymously funded, need based scholarships for upcoming Writing Our Lives classes!
Dates: 1/31, 2/7, 21, 28, 3/14
1. Scholarship ($100) for a VONA/Voices alum who:
* Is not traditionally educated (does not have nor is pursuing an MFA)
* Has not published a book with a major publisher
2. Scholarship ($100) for a single mother who would otherwise be unable to attend the workshop.
How to apply:
Send a letter detailing:
* which class and scholarship you are applying to,
* how you are qualified for the scholarship,
* your financial need—i.e. unemployed, underemployed, etc.
* why you think you need this class, what you expect to gain from it, and why you think you are deserving of the scholarship beyond your financial need.
Send the letter with “Writing Our Lives Scholarship” in the subject line to: email@example.com. (Note: First dibs on scholarships go to students who have not received a scholarship in the past.)
Interested in sponsoring a scholarship?
I created Writing Our Lives for writers of color who come from marginalized and underserved neighborhoods like me. That sometimes means that people can’t afford to take my classes. In the past, I’ve offered a free five hour class every semester as a gift to my community and to pay it forward, along with scholarships and payment plans for classes. I am now looking for ways to subsidize tuition for even more writers. Scholarship sponsorship is one way to do this. If you are interested in sponsoring a scholarship for a writer, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Join me in helping more people write their stories.